• PC (May 21, 2019)

Trailer:

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 75 average - 71% recommended

[SIZE=24px]Critic Reviews[/SIZE]

Video Review - Quote not available

AusGamers - 9 / 10
    A statement that although might be a disservice to the advances we've seen in recent years when it comes to interactive story-driven titles, solidifies Observation as a great work of sci-fi fiction.

Bloody Disgusting - 4 / 5 stars
    My own lack of emotional investment doesn’t negate what Observation does so well. No Code has created something truly unique. It defies easy β€œx meets y meets z” categorization. While there are recognizable component partsβ€”the map of a ship-builder, the numerous small mechanics of a microgame collection, the rubberneckery of an immersive simβ€”I have never played anything quite like Observation.

But, I’m guessing it would be awfully familiar to the AI in my pocket.

COGconnected - 80 / 100
    She never seems to give any hints or suggestions and it was frustrating to get stuck on a puzzle because I didn’t have any idea of what to do or because SAM’s cursor had just missed a crucial puzzle object I needed so I didn’t realize that I could even interact with it.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10
    No Code's sophomore title nails the organic intricacies of feeling like an artificial intelligence system while also telling a compelling and ambitious science fiction narrative.

Destructoid - 9 / 10
    If No Code hadn't already gotten its name out there as a strong storyteller with Stories Untold, this game would've put the studio on the map. Observation is everything I hoped it would be.

Digital Chumps - 8 / 10
    No Code takes sci-fi survival horror in a different direction using clever gameplay design and a powerfully uneasy story to drive the experience. It's not perfect for all gamers, but for those brave enough to stick with it, they will find some special.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5 stars
    Observation is truly a thinking person's game... and it's a rare gem for that.

DualShockers - 7.5 / 10
    Like Stories Untold before it, Observation is game that I think you really need to play to appreciate how masterful No Code is at setting a tone and building a compelling world for players to explore

Observation's unsettling tale unwraps layer by layer as you work to get a damaged space station back online.

Eurogamer - Recommended
    A smart sci-fi that isn't without problems, though they're balanced out by an incredible amount of style.

Explosion Network - 8 / 10
    Observation will undoubtedly make a lot of best of 2019 lists. Its unique design and mesh of a thrilling space station story that’s bound to get the heart racing and well-implemented puzzles make it a standout.

Game Informer - 9 / 10
    Observation is a fantastic horror game thanks to its twisting plot, well-realized setting, and challenging puzzles

Game Rant - 2.5 / 5 stars
    Inspired by sci-fi classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Observation delivers an unnerving story with a creepy atmosphere that goes to waste thanks to poor gameplay.

GamePitt - 9.2 / 10
    Observation is one of the most immersive interactive narrative-based games I've played outside of Virtual Reality. Instead of taking control of the protagonist directly, you'll be in control of the AI which can traverse through the various systems as you investigate the disappearance of the crew. You'll be fooled into thinking you're watching an '80s Sci-fi film with all of the VHS post-effects and familiar surroundings which look like they've been ripped right out of the set from Alien. Although built around the incredibly strong narrative and immersive interactions, you'll have to overcome various puzzles as you move around the ship trying to uncover the truth.

GameSkinny - 6 / 10 stars
    Observation promises an eerie space thriller, and it delivers. Almost. There's a great game there but its flaws too often make it feel like it's trying to hide from you.

GameSpew - 9 / 10
    If you’re after an experience like no other, that will challenge your problem-solving skills in logical and believable ways, you absolutely need to play Observation. It’s one of the most compelling and surprising games I’ve played in recent years. Its biggest achievement, though, is that it didn’t make me feel like I was playing a game; it made me feel like I was genuinely assisting a crew member in distress.

GameSpot - 8 / 10
    Observation, a creepy space-station thriller in which you control an AI, is equal parts mysterious and compelling. And, it looks amazing.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10
    Observation delivers an interesting thriller story sets in space, through the eyes of SAM, the AI of a lost station. Fascinating until the very end, the story will appreciates itself only if you accept to endure cryptic puzzles and ever changing rules, in a labyrinth that can really drive you crazy.

GamingBolt - 6 / 10
    Observation combines an excellent narrative and presentation with some often cumbersome gameplay elements that really drag the experience down. It's absolutely worth seeing through to its conclusion, but it may not come easy to the impatient and unforgiving.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10
    Observation is a fantastic game, bringing gripping science fiction and unique gameplay together for a truly remarkable experience.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars
    Making the player the mainframe in this 2001-inspired sci-fi aboard a space station gone wrong is inspired

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5
    While it could have done more with its central concept, Observation is a terrific, thrilling adventure game and a superb follow-up for No Code. The blend of the realistic workings of space exploration along with more bizarre elements is perfectly executed and creates an engrossing story with a haunting atmosphere that you'll want to see through.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 80 / 100
    Observation is an intriguing, sometimes terrifying, sci-fi thriller. Exploration and puzzle solving, combined with a great atmosphere, create a unique tribute to some classic movies such as Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, MOON or Gravity.

IGN - 9 / 10
    Observation's novel approach to puzzle design and gripping plot combine to create a unique science-fiction experience.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.8 / 10
    Observation has his flaws (mainly in the technical side), but is a great example of how videogames can come up with new ways of telling stories.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7.8 / 10
    No Code presents another story that catches us from the first moment in which they have taken much care of both the atmosphere and the ambience. A thriller that we will want to play without stopping to solve all the mysteries that it contains.

Metro GameCentral - 3 / 10
    2001 is hardly the most obvious movie to use as inspiration for a video game and perhaps predictably the end result suffers from slow-pacing and a lack of meaningful interaction.

Niche Gamer - 5 / 10
    Quote not yet available

OnlySP - 3 / 5 stars
    Observation is almost a great game. Characters are interesting enough to hold up an often-surprising story, gameplay sweats intensity and is rewarding more often than not, and what No Code has managed to put together in spite of its small budget is tremendous. What stings more than anything is the thought of what could be. The game has a lot of things that need fixing, even if the hiccups are mostly surface level and technical. Observation truly seems to be only a few patches away from cementing itself as a worthwhile experience in the narratively-driven genre of games. Until then, Observation’s shot at the moon left it drifting into space.

PC Gamer - 82 / 100
    A stylish, understated, and subtly chilling psychological thriller with a compelling mystery at its core.

PCWorld - 4.5 / 5 stars
    Observation is grander than Stories Untold, more ambitious by half, but equally fascinating and inventive.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6.5 / 10
    Overall, Observation has a handful of issues but is still an enjoyable game if you're a fan of the puzzle and sci-fi genre. It takes around 8-10 hours to play through, which I believe is enough content to justify the $25 price tag. Despite only having one centralized location and some confusing puzzles along the way, the overall player controls and narrative of the story are intriguing enough to draw you in for the journey through space.

PlayStation Universe - 7.5 / 10
    Observation does a lot of things correctly. Honing in on the isolation of space generates a wonderful tension on its own. Some pacing issues keep it from excellence, but there is plenty of appeal here for many different gaming preferences.

Player.One - 8.5 / 10
    An amazing, unique and genuinely mind-bending entry into the science-fiction genre, Observation draws on its distinct set-up to pull you into a mystery set deep in space. It's existential dread condensed into roughly six to eight hours of gameplay. Discounting the sometimes buggy levels, it has everything you could ever ask for in an original sci-fi title: an intriguing premise, a foreboding theme, and an AI player character, whose motive eludes even yourself.

Polygon - Unscored
    The key to crafting an effective user interface, via video game or otherwise, is a careful balancing act of priorities both aesthetic and utilitarian. The location of the interface, how it functions, who is the user, and how is the interface meant to be seen are all questions and considerations that inform the shape and presentation of a plausible, functional user interface.

PowerUp! - 9 / 10
    For whatever visual blemishes show up, or for however far the third act strays, Observation remains a deeply fascinating experience.

Push Square - 8 / 10
    Observation uses the unfathomable vastness of space to wonderful effect, conjuring a palpable sense of both isolation and dread that rarely falters across the six or seven hours it'll take for you to see it though. Minor quibbles with some aspects of the storytelling and a couple of quality of life issues don't detract from what is an engrossing adventure that thrills far more frequently than it frustrates.

Reloading BR - Portuguese - 8.2 / 10
    It's not that Observation brings revolutionary mechanics to its gameplay or narrative, but what makes this a special project is the incredible execution and use of the interactive nature of video games to tell an intriguing Sci-fi thriller. It may sound clichΓ©, but the in-game situations are so well implemented and contextualized that you really feel as an important and operative part of this story.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored
    Observation is clever, but it’s also astoundingly dumb.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars
    Observation is a chilling and enthralling space-bound horror game, allowing players to act out their best HAL 9000 impressions through a great story.

Slant Magazine - 3.5 / 5 stars
    The setting of the game is the familiar stuff of science fiction, but the lens through which it's viewed is not.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10
    Observation is a good sci-fi thriller, a step-by-step story made of puzzles and mistery.

Stevivor - 8 / 10
    Despite those occasionals falter β€” and a somewhat polarising, disappointing ending β€” I was desperate to complete Observation to get to the bottom of its mystery.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10
    Observation combines weird sci-fi and cosmic horror with clever adventure gameplay and amazing atmosphere.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10
    Observation is a sci-fi thriller that puts you in a situation quite unlike any other. You never quite know what to expect, but the writing is solid enough to make sense even at its most unbelievable, and the characters of Sam and Emma really grow on you. A few niggly navigational hiccups and a couple of dull puzzles can break the immersion a bit, but even so any sci-fi fan should have a look at Observation.

Twinfinite - 3.5 / 5
    Despite the control and movement issues in Observation, I would definitely recommend playing it, as it is an experience few other games are likely to offer you. Just be careful, as you may have an existential crisis after the game’s crazy story wraps up.

USgamer - 2.5 / 5 stars
    Observation has no trouble grabbing you from the go, with gripping central mysteries and questions that demand answers. Painstaking progress through even the simplest commands and instructions counteract any sense of progress in Observation, and ultimately dilutes and cheapens the experience.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10
    An exquisite atmosphere and fresh premise make up for some slightly obtuse puzzles. Observation brims with ideas and images that fill your head.

Wccftech - 6 / 10
    Observation spins a solid sci-fi yarn steeped in ominous atmosphere, but it fails to live up to its intriguing "Play as HAL 9000!" pitch. Too much of the game feels like irritating busy work as you wait for something interesting to happen. Folks who care about story first and foremost will want to give Observation a look, but those hoping for both an engaging plot and mechanics may find this space odyssey a drudgery.

We Got This Covered - 3.5 / 5 stars
    The gameplay in Observation might be a bit of a slow boil, but it's unusual enough to be engaging in between its fascinating narrative moments.
    LG OLED 65C3 | Marantz SR5015 | Klipsch R-620F , R-51M , R-34C - SVS SB1000Pro - Elipson IC6 [5.1.2] Dolby Atmos | PS5 |

Follow me!