PDA

View Full Version : Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

PDS
28-07-2007, 14:05
Syphon Filter infiltrates PSP's innards to enable full 333 (MHzhttp://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/27/syphon-filter-infiltrates-psps-innards-to-enable-full-333mhz/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.pspfanboy.com/media/2007/07/syphonfilter2323.jpg

Chris Reese, Technical Director for SCEA's Bend Studio, has posted on the PlayStation.Blog to confirm that Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow will utilize the full 333MHz of PSP power. Reese claims the extra 67MHz will allow Bend Studio to create a look and feel that isn't possible using the original 266mhz. The increase in power will let them focus on adding detail and interactivity to the game's environments.

For those who are confused about 333mhz compatability, let us put your mind at rest. Games utilizing the 333 MHz clock speed will work exactly the same on a normal PSP as on a Slim PSP. The increase in power does mean that the battery in both models will drain more quickly than in other games, but for those who are picking up a PSP Slim you can use your old PSP's battery to lengthen the playtime. This does, however, come with its own problems.

PDS
31-07-2007, 12:56
SDCC 07: Greg Rucka: Logan's Scribe (http://psp.ign.com/articles/809/809401p1.html)
The famed author talks about his work on the latest Syphon Filter.

Let it never be said that fame has gone to Greg Rucka's shaven head.

It's Saturday afternoon, and Greg's arrived at Sony's San Diego Comic-Con booth to sign autographs for Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow -- a new PSP game that he helped write. However, Sony's booth is overrun. Fanboys are screaming into a SingStar mic, there's a line of folks wrapped around the location to get their photo taken as part of a SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs promotion, and the table Greg -- writer of the Queen & Country novels and a handful of uber-popular comic books -- is supposed to sign at is far from ready to go.

In fact, it's still in its box.

A custodian comes over to get the table unwrapped, begins to struggle and Greg does what any hotshot author would do -- he offers to help and, of course, chat it up with IGN about Gabe Logan's latest adventure.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730060058705-000.jpg

IGN: First off, I have never met you so I want to commend you on Bruce Wayne: Fugitive.

Greg: Oh, thank you.

IGN: I loved that stuff. That was such a great run.

Greg: That was, wow, years ago.

IGN: I know.

Greg: I've written other things since then

IGN: I know. I guess --

Greg: There's been a couple of novels, other comic books, I did this thing some people have heard of called 52, y'know?

IGN: Yeah, that was one of those gimmicky novels I didn't really read.

Greg: Oh yeah, y'know -- just all stunt.

IGN: That fizzled out somewhere along the line right? Nobody cared about that.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055808020-000.jpg

IGN: So, tell me about your involvement with Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow.

Greg: My involvement with the game came about because John Garvin [Syphon Filter creative director]called me. And John Garvin called me because of Connie Booth, who's, I guess, the big exec pro on it, and I had had a passing acquaintance. Way back when when there was going to be a sequel to Rise to Honor I did a brief consult on that with two other writers I know -- Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir. We all did a consult on it and then for reasons that I do not know, I guess, the game never actually came to pass. But I guess it kept my name in the mix and John knew my work. He called me up and said this is what's going on, we're working on the game, we have these mechanisms in place software-wise, we have this underwater engine, we have the following state changes -- basically he started speaking software designer to me -- and I said, "Why are you calling it Logan's Shadow?" And he said, "Well, here's the breakdown ..." He sent me the material, and I looked it over, and I said, "Okay, well, what would you like?" And he said, "I want you to go at it, savage it and tell me what to do, what you think" -- well, not what to do -- "savage it and let me hear your ideas."
So, I went at it, and I was like "Okay, these are the things I think you should be looking at." And that is, basically, how it came about. We had several discussions, I wrote up basically a couple breakdowns on ways to structure the scenes around the set pieces, and we kind of reworked the story. We tried to put something that I love in my videogames into it, which was some emotional investment -- that you cared about what was going on. That there was a reason that you gave a damn about what Gabe was doing. And coming off of Dark Mirror and the stuff that had happened to the character there, I know of was stunned to be like "Why aren't you using any of this stuff you set up?" I mean, he now has a kid! He knows that he's a dad! There's all this fabulous character stuff here. So, we discussed that and sort of tried to find a way to use the relationships that really have been building throughout this series and turn them into good story … that's what we got here. We got, I think, a good, good story for Gabe and I think at the end -- I don't want to give anything away -- it's got a nice ending. It's got the kind of ending that I think -- hopefully -- people will be like "Where's the next one?"

IGN: Nice

Greg: "Where's the next one. I need the next one."

IGN: So, did you play Dark Mirror?

Greg: He was like "You've got to play it." I had a PSP but … I don't know if I even had a PSP at that time … I had been mostly console gaming. I had a PS2. So, I played it. Yeah, I remember playing it through. I can't remember if I went out and got myself a PSP or if they were kind enough to say "Would you like one?"

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055814895-000.jpg

IGN: Yeah.

Greg: To which I would've been an idiot if I said no. I think they maybe sent me one. I think that was it. They said, "Have you played the game?" and I was like "No," and he said, "Do you have a PSP?" and I was like "No," and he was like "We'll take care of that." I was like "I like working for Sony. These guys are cool." I played it through, and I really, really dug it, and then I went through over the back list and I read all the source material because of course they have these very elaborate bibles. And the thing that I guess struck me was that they had --

Some Comic Fan: RUCKA!

Greg: RULE! -- had developed what I though were very rich characters and a very rich world and yet in each game, they seem to take only half of it forward. So that there was all this lovely baggage that from a writer's standpoint was like that's all the stuff you use to make the story. And at the same time, there was this feeling of there was a lot of questions they never bothered to answer because the game and the agency had pretty much existed kind of in a vacuum. You didn't really understand -- apparently Gabe was responsible to the president but nobody else. To which I was like, "Well, but it don't work like that." So, we started talking about how the politics influence the espionage because that's one of the things I'm known for in my writing. I do it in Queen & Country, in the novels, Private Wars, it's in A Gentleman's Game, it's in the DC Comic Checkmate -- it's all a question of how espionage is actually a tool of politics. Espionage doesn't exist in a vacuum. So that, and again talking about the relationship that Gabe had with the other characters, was how we ended up where we were.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055808535-000.jpg

IGN: Nice.

Greg: It's hard because I don't want to give away the story.

IGN: I know how that is.

Greg: I feel like I have to talk around it.

IGN: I think the way it has been pitched to gamer -- so far -- is that there's this whole dichotomy of his partner goes missing and then she may be a renegade agent and all that stuff. Is that stuff you brought?

Greg: Yeah. I was like "Okay, wait a minute. She's Chinese? Yes. She defected? Yes. They've been working together for how long? Ten years." I was like, "You know they're in love." John was like "Well …" I was like "They're in love! Look at what you've written. These are two workaholics who are in love with each other." Well, if she goes missing, you force yourself to ask all these questions. How well did you know her? Somebody who defects in espionage terms -- the worst thing in the world is to be a triple agent. Right? Because then nobody at all trusts you. Right? But to be a double is a dangerous thing. Y'know, I came out loyal to you and then halfway through I switched over to be loyal to them. Well, now you hate me and they can never fully trust me. That's one of the things that happens here. Lian goes off and one of the first questions is can you trust her? Well, Gabe wants to believe he can, but when you put images in front of him -- and you can do a lot with an image, and I'm not even talking about manipulating it. I'm saying, if I show you a picture out of context, if I've got a hand on your shoulder in a photograph, you don't know if we're friends or if I'm about to hug you or if I'm about to slug you.

IGN: Please don't slug me.

Greg: laughing See what I mean, you don't know. And if I show that to that guy, he's got no idea what the relationship is. Now, if I bring in an emotional relationship to one of the participants -- i.e. you're my friend; they don't know who the hell I am, but I'm a scary looking guy who shaves his head and has earrings or whatnot -- there's implicate threat. Right? You're bigger than me.

IGN: Damn right.

Greg: Less threat. If I'm taller than you, more threat. See what I mean?

IGN: Mm-hmm.

Greg: So we started playing with things like that, and I think it got us some interesting stuff. And then of course, I latched onto the title. He's got a shadow. Who is the shadow? And I think that's a good question for the game. And if you look at the game graphic asset, there's Gabe with two shadows behind him. Which one? Or are they both?

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055819192-000.jpg

IGN: Something to think about.

Greg: Yeah, well, there's this belief that gamers are stupid. It's wrong. Gamers are very, very smart, and they get things. And they get things pretty quickly. The thing I've been aching for in my videogames is good story. I want to play games that give me a story that I care about -- that I become emotionally invested in and give me moments where I go "Whoa! Damn, I didn't see that coming" or "Ow" or the best of all possible worlds would be a game that when you finished it you were still thinking about it two weeks later. Not because it had fabulous gameplay, but because it had fabulous gameplay and the story mattered to you. You know what I mean?

IGN: Oh, totally.

Greg: And right now, the reason we think about these games two weeks later is we go "I finally kicked its ass." Y'know? Okay, level design is an art form, upping the strength of the level boss is not, and making a game where your last battle is really, really hard for the sake of making it really, really hard doesn't really interest me. I'm not interested in playing the game to fail. I'm interested in playing the game to win, and I'm interested in playing the game because I want to know where it's going to take me.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055808848-000.jpg

IGN: You raised an interesting point there. Now, you are a literary giant. You've written books, comic books, everything --

Greg: Yes, I'm a giant. I have a career.

IGN: Okay, you do have a career. We'll limit it to that, but Roger Ebert keeps getting ink for saying that videogames aren't art. Where do you fall on that?

Greg: I think it's significant that we're talking about this at San Diego Comic-Con where a lot of people still maintain that comics aren't art. Videogames are a bastardized form. Videogames suffer from also making ridiculous amounts of money; so they've been Hollywoodized. I don't think anybody's found the formula yet. Is it art? There are elements of art to it. I have yet to see it executed entirely as a successful piece of art. I've seen role-playing games in the genre come very close. I have yet to see for instance a good shooter or action game successfully do it. But it's an insult to -- it's an incredible insult -- to all the people. I mean look at the -- literally -- look at the art that is produced to create a game -- just the concept sketches, the design work.

IGN: There's something there.

Greg: Yeah. Now if you say that what Ebert's responding to is there haven't been a whole lot of people writing, yeah, there haven't been. This is an industry that pretty much started out going, "Well, Joe from accounting has an idea for a story. Also, Joe from accounting is a writer." Well, you know, no offense to Joe, I do this professionally. One of the things that happened with this game was that there were elements already in place and consequently John said we are using these things. If we can come up with good ways to use them, all the better. I would've been very interested if John and I had met in a closed room and said this is the story we want to tell and then brought that in to create the elements off of. And I think until you start getting meetings like that, you're going to have a hard fight to convince people that it's an art.

IGN: Do you see that coming?

Greg: Yeah., absolutely. I think it is coming, but I also think we're at a phase in this industry where we have rock stars who are rock stars for designing the engine and who therefore assume that they can design the story. And I remember literally sitting in a meeting for a game that will not be named and a guy who said, "No, we want it to be like the Matrix." To which I was like, the Matrix had a crappy story. I loved the movie. I think the visuals were stunning, but if you're going to tell me that's the story you're working off of, I'm going to tell you you got a bad game. That's a bad game. If you tell me I want to work off of Casablanca, I say now you got something because now we're talking about emotional resonate material.

IGN: Being connected to the characters.

Greg: Exactly. That's exactly it. I think it's evolving. I think every year we get closer. And boy, I can't count the number of times I've been disappointed. But also, in the last couple of years, I've been pleasantly surprised. I played Tomb Raider: Legend, and I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it, and then I got to the end of the game and I was like "Holy mackerel!" -- and I want to say "holy s***" but I don't know what the profanity policy is.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/809/809401/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070730055817754-000.jpg

IGN: We'll find out.

Greg: But that last cutscene, I was like "Holy s***." That was smart, and all of a sudden, you cared. In those last three minutes of the game -- you'd been having fun, and you'd been making Lara run and jump and shoot -- in the last three minutes of the game, you understood her heartbreak, and now, you wanted the next goddamn game. And that hit me by surprise. And I want more of that. And I shouldn't be surprised by it. I should be able to expect it -- that's the thing.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/803/803714/syphon-filter-logans-shadow-20070711050704221.jpg

PDS
02-10-2007, 17:16
PSP Fanboy review: Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/10/02/psp-fanboy-review-syphon-filter-logans-shadow/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.pspfanboy.com/media/2007/10/logansrev1.jpg

PSP Fanboy Score: 9.0

Akolov
02-10-2007, 17:59
ΑΠΛΑ ΚΑΤΑΠΛΗΚΤΙΚΟ!

ΑΠΟ τα καλύτερα games που έχω παίξει στο psp. (το προηγούμενο φυσικά....αυτό περιμένουμε να βγεί:wave::wave::wave:)

ps4
02-10-2007, 18:23
Συμφωνω. ηταν το πρωτο παιχνιδι που δεν αφηνα απο τα χερια μου το psp. τετοια τρελλα.

περιμενω και εγω το επομενο για τρελλο λιωσιμο.

PDS
03-10-2007, 11:54
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow IGN Review (http://psp.ign.com/articles/824/824570p1.html)
Can Gabe Logan work his magic on the PSP again?

DarkUSS
03-10-2007, 19:41
Eκπληκτικό! Είχα παίξει και το demo το καλοκαίρι και ναι είναι υπέροχο!!! Αν και δεν περίμενα με τίποτα τέτοια βαθμολογία για να πω την αλήθεια.

Πλάκα πλάκα το PSP είναι must αγορά φέτος με τόσα καλά παιχνίδια.

Akolov
07-10-2007, 05:54
Το psp ανέκαθεν , αποτελούσε must αγορά ακόμα και στο launch day του .
Όσο αφορά το παιχνίδι τώρα......(αφού το έπαιξα αρκετές ώρες )
Νομίζω ότι απλά τα ΣΠΑΕΙ.
Δεν βλέπω βέβαια και πολλές διαφορές από το Dark Mirror.

Η ιστορία συνεχίζεται , νέα σεναρια και δολοπλοκίες εμφανίζονται στο παιχνίδι , όπου μαζί με τα τρομέρα σε ποιότητα και ατμόσφαιρα, intro βιντεάκια , πριν από κάθε stage , ανεβάζουν τον δείκτη αληθοφάνειας ΚΑΤΑΚΟΡΥΦΑ.Από την αρχή το παιχνίδι σε βάζει στα βαθιά (προσοχή όποιος δεν έχει παίξει το πρώτο της σειράς στο psp καλό θα ήταν να το παίξει πρώτα....)Το παιχνίδι δεν φημίζεται για τον μεγάλο δείκτη δυσκολίας του στο gameplay .Κάθε άλλο μάλιστα ,ο πάικτης με ισόποσες πιθανότητες να πεθάνει , έχει στην διάθεση του πολλές εναλλακτικές όσο αφορά την μέθοδο που θα πορευτεί στο παιχνίδι , πχ stealth game κρυμμένος πίσω από τοίχους κτλ , τύπος που πάιρνει το shotgun και χτυπά από κοντά χωρίς να περιμένει τίποτα, sniper στυλ ή πετάω grenades(smoke/frag) βάζω τα googles και χτυπάω ότι κινείται γύρω μου.
Μιλώντας για τα googles μπορώ να πω ότι είναι ξανά αξιοθαύμαστη η δουλειά που έχουν κάνει στο παιχνίδι όπου χρειάζεται και απαιτείται πολλές φορές η εναλλαγή στα googles για να συνεχίσει η ιστορία . (πχ βρες μου στόχο , απενεργοποίησε grenades ,πάτα τον κρυφό διακόπτη στην πίστα ή τέλος βρες μου τα hidden evidences poy ξεκλειδώνουν όπλα κτλ)Καινούργιο στοιχείο το οποίο και βλέπουμε σε πολλά games την εποχή που διανύουμε , είναι τα in game actions που απαιτούν το έγκαιρο tap του σωστού button (βλέπε HS ή GoW). Τέλος τα μέρη που θα βρεθεί ο παίχτης είναι πολύ όμορφα , αρκετά από αυτά σπάνια ως και πρωτόγνωρα θα έλεγα με λεπτομέρειες που αξίζουν χειροκροτήματα!

Συνιστώ ανεπιφύλακτα κάθε κάτοχο psp να δοκιμάσει το τρομερό αυτό παιχνίδι και μετά τον πάω και στοίχημα αν θα τον καθηλώσει ή όχι :tongue:.

Σημαντικό αρνητικό όπως και σε πολλά παιχνίδια του psp είναι ότι αποτελεί ένα κουραστικό παιχνίδι , τα χέρια σας θας σας πονάνε στο τέταρτο , δεν μπορείς να το παίξεις σε λεωφορείο , και θέλει υπομονή και επιμονή για ένα καλό αποτέλεσμα.
Ο χειρισμός του παιχνιδιού ΟΜΩΣ, είναι από τους καλύτερους που μπορεί να βρει κάποιος στο psp ( προτιμώ τα κυκλος τετράγωνο τρίγωνο και χ να είναι το movement και το stickάκι το aim- "advanced aim"επιλογή στα options) Μόλις το μάθετε λιγάκι θα είστε απόλυτα ακριβής!:bgrin2:

Α και όσοι δεν έχετε psp ΤΡΕΧΑΤΕ να αγοράσετε ένα . Είναι πολύ φτηνή λύση gaming , θα σας προσφέρει ΑΠΕΙΡΕΣ ώρες διασκέδασης , και αν σκεφτώ και μερικά games έτσι στα γρήγορα που έχω τερματίσει αλλά και μερικά που θα έρθουν στο προσεχές μέλλον( ΒΛΕΠΕ Final Fantasy Crisis Core)νομίζω είναι κουτό να μην το έχετε στα gadgets σας.
(Φανταστείτε τώρα χειμωνάτικη νύχτα , έξω να έχει δυνατό αέρα και να βρέχει καταρακτωδώς , το ρεύμα να έχει πέσει και δεν έχετε ούτε καλοριφέρ να ζεσταθείτε και to make matters worse ούτε ρεύμα να δουλέψει η πανάκριβη full HD TV και το μάυρο στολίδι σας , το ps3 , και σαν αποτέλεσμα βρίσκεστε χουχουλιασμένος στο κρεβάτι σας με μόνο φως, αυτό του psp που συνεχίζει απτόητο να σας χαρίζει ΩΡΕΣ ανεμελιάς και φαντασίας είτε παίζοντας το ff7 (psx eboot) είτε βλέποντας το τελευταίο επεισόδειο του Prison Break που το ίδιο πρωί κατεβάσατε!!!)ΑΠΑΠΑΠΑΠΑ!!!!!!!!!!!!ΠΑΡΑΔΕΙΣΟΣ!!!!

blizard
07-10-2007, 06:22
:1appl: :1appl:

SPOWN
07-10-2007, 09:13
Loipon to exw loiwsei to paixnidi einai arketa veltiwmeno sta grafika tou se polla simeia....To paixnidi kanei to metal gear portal ops na paei na kryftei...GABE LOGAN FOREVER....Apo to PS1 gabe eisai theos..

PDS
07-10-2007, 12:02
Λοιπον χθες το επαιξα το game για πρωτη φορα.Εκανα το training μονο,και εχω να πω οτι φαινεται οντως πολυ ενδιαφερον,εχει τα καλυτερα γραφικα που εχω δει σε psp μεχρι στιγμης,και ο χειρισμος φαινεται πολυ καλος.

Σημαντικό αρνητικό όπως και σε πολλά παιχνίδια του psp είναι ότι αποτελεί ένα κουραστικό παιχνίδι , τα χέρια σας θας σας πονάνε στο τέταρτο , δεν μπορείς να το παίξεις σε λεωφορείο , και θέλει υπομονή και επιμονή για ένα καλό αποτέλεσμα.

Ναι ειναι γεγονος αυτο και οπως λες και εσυ στα περισσοτερα παιχνιδια του psp συμβαινει αυτο και ευθυνεται το ιδιο το μηχανημα:(.

Θα το παιξω περισσοτερο το παιχνιδι και θα γραψω εντυπωσεις.:)

pictorino
29-06-2008, 18:51
το προηγούμενο ήταν καταπληκτικό,αυτό δεν το έχω παίξει!!

Dinos
11-12-2010, 12:39
ΑΞΙΖΕΙ Η ΑΓΟΡΑ ΤΟΥ Η ΕΙΝΑΙ ΞΕΠΕΡΑΣΜΕΝΟ ΛΟΓΩ ΗΛΙΚΙΑΣ ???