PDA

View Full Version : Sony: PSP devs need to get creative

NonBorn
25-06-2007, 12:58
Sony: PSP devs need to get creative
PSP devs need to be more diverse with game design on the multi-functional portable says SCEE game director.

SCEE game director, Tony Buckley, told CVG that developers need to be more creative with PSP game design in order to attract people to the portable.

"It's our [developers'] job to create something that attracts people to PSP," said Buckley. "I think that rather than focusing on the gameplay side of it, we should be focusing on how to fully utilise what I think is quite a sophisticated piece of kit."

Interestingly, Buckley said: "I'm not to sure whether there is a killer piece of software out there that would make people say "woah" - there are loads of great games out there I just think that our team and other development teams need to utilise other areas of the machine." This mirrors an earlier statement by SCEA's chief financial officer, who also admitted that the PSP lacked a title that "defines the product".

"It's such a great machine with so much functionality, you've just got to focus on how the games can build on that functionality," he said, citing MP3 playback, wireless and online functionality as key opportunities for developers to expand their games.

In the full interview, Buckley discusses Sony's increased focus on online integration and the future of the PlayStation Network.